Welcome Aboard

Hello and WELCOME to my BLOG! My goal of blogging is to share classroom and team information, student success stories, comical moments, important school news, classroom and team announcements, helpful hints, useful links, and so much more. Join me as we continue our ongoing journey into the world of 21st Century Technology while we enhance communication between students, parents, and myself. Please check the blog regularly and leave me a comment or two. (Remember, this is a school blog, so please use correct grammar and mechanics.) It should be a fun, valuable, and rewarding experience. So, without further hesitation.....let the journey continue!!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Biggest Loser - Give it a Chance!

Now that fall is officially here, so is the new TV season. Now, do not misunderstand me. I am not encouraging an increase of television viewing, But I am asking you to consider following the journeys of the men and women this season on The Biggest Loser. (Tuesdays on NBC at 8:00 PM) Not only is a show about being healthy/getting healthy, the life lessons delivered each week are very powerful. I often use the show as teaching tool, particularly in reading and finding themes. The show is very effective in modeling that hard work does pay off. Setting goals, not giving up, motivation, inspiration, being dedicated, decisions, choices, managing stress and disappointment, and yes, rewards, are among the lessons we can learn from this show. Every year I have a handful of students that begin watching. Other students hear our conversations in the morning and sense our excitement as we discuss the events that aired that week. As the season progresses, more and more students are watching. The season finale never disappoints, either, as monumental transformations are revealed. It's truly amazing watching and seeing what even the most lost souls can accomplish when they put their minds to it! Not only do they undergo physical transformations, but emotional ones as well. In truly touching witnessing these men and women gain confidence in themselves - something they didn't have before. Yes, it is a two hour show and ends at 10:00 PM. This is late for a school night, but it can be taped/recorded, or caught on cable. I'm not sure what channel carries the second showing, but i know it does air later in the week. The show was very inspiring for me, too. Weight was never an issue for me, but as I found myself getting older, it became an issue, and a sensitive one at that! Sitting and watching the show (probably while eating ice cream or something) was not working for me! My own journey is not over; maintaining my weight loss is difficult and sometimes a real pain in the neck! But I try to keep in mind the alternative. It's this type of lesson and inspiration that our kids would benefit from. School is not always easy; projects and homework can sometimes be a nuisance, but by discovering that school and learning is a life-long process that requires hard work and dedication, well, success is just around the corner!

Happy Viewing!

Miss D'Amore : )

11 comments:

Feranmi Motoni said...

Yay!The biggest Loser is back!I can't wait to see the new people who want to change their life's and
set goals.Speeking of goals,I will
oficially begin my 200 book reading on September 27th!You're the first one to tell!I'll be informing the other student with my locker.Is there a kid who wants to set the same goal?If there is,you can tell them to get some advice from me.Oh,and the idea of pizza at your place is wonderful!You should pass out the invotations!LOL!Well,see ya!
P.S lets invite Mr.Kenny's kids too.

Miss D'Amore said...

Hey Feranmi! I LOVE the idea of finding students to match your goal of reading 200 books. I will put the word out tomorrow in class. I can think of several students that will accept the challenge!

Let the Biggest Loser challenges begin! Transformations are just around the corner!

Have a nice weekend...

Miss D.

Arianna said...

Hey Miss D'Amore I watched a little of the biggest loser,I was flipping between biggest loser and glee. I read this story about a guy who was on biggest loser and lost I think 300,about,and then put it back on.He also said that people would stop drinking water. there s more to the story then that I'll tell you more next time. bye.

p.s see you on halloween

Miss D'Amore said...

Sounds good Arianna! There was a contestant that was the winner and he did put all of the weight back on. I believe the show is still working with him and have challenged him to again lose the weight a second time. Not sure about not drinking water.....definitely fill me in soon! Have a great week!

Miss D'Amore : )

Anonymous said...

HI miss D'amore sixth grade is awsome my two favorite teachers are mr. Kapostasy and mr. Potiker.


From ,
The nuclear Fusion Kid
a.k.a
Marvin

Miss D'Amore said...

Hey Marvin - I thought I was your favorite teacher! : )

So far this year no one has stepped up to lead discussions and activities about nuclear fusion. And I think the word "DIE" was only used once so far! Miss ya!

Miss D'Amore

Marvin Richards said...

You are my favorite SCIENCE teacher!!!!!

Dana and Allie said...

Hi Miss D'amore its Dana and Allie we just wanted to say hi and that we love brady! We will still read your blog!
your old students,
Allie and Dana W.

Miss D'Amore said...

Hi Girls!

Thank you SO much for writing and reading the blog ~ that means more than you'll ever know! I'm so happy that middle school is treating you both well - there was never any doubt in my mind! Please tell Mom I said hello. Come by for a visit when you can, okay?

See ya soon!

Miss D'Amore

browns36 said...

Hey Everyone!

It's Steven Kish, and for all 5th graders–6th grade next year is a blast. Team 6a is the best. Just don't let Miss D'Amore's Days pass so quickly. Enjoy every minute that you are getting hit with her squeaky hammer! Have fun Miss D'Amore!!!!!

-Steven Kish (browns36:))

P.S. Marvin, I'm telling Ms. Shirilla, Mrs. Owen, and Mrs. Borgione that you said that Mr K and Mr P are your favorites (Just Kidding)!!!

Miss D'Amore said...

Hey Steven!
Nice to hear from you! It's sad, but true - my current class/team doesn't visit the blog as much as you guys did; hopefully that will change! I have not cracked out the hammer yet - I'll keep them waiting a little longer! BTW, I posted your bacon comment on the reading blog last week! It's also okay that your "favorite teachers" change from year to year...as long as you don't forget us! Talk to you soon!
Miss D'Amore : )